In these harsh times, people are wary of anything out of the ordinary. If you step inside someone's house uninvited, for example, they will first warn you that you've no business there, but if you do anything untoward there, they will immediately call for a guard.
You'd better not get caught at all in sensitive places like the armoury or some noble's chambers. If that happens, there'll be no warning at all and the catchpoles will immediately try to place you under [arrest].
Only, sometimes you will need to sneak into such places unobserved, or while avoiding conflict. For that, you will need the skill of Stealth.
Skill alone won't make you invisible, though. If you stand out like a sore thumb, or rattle like a tinker's wagon, you're bound to get caught. You have to take care that no one sees or hears you.
- To stay out of sight, it helps to crouch . But that in itself is not enough. Crouching in the middle of the town square in broad daylight is more likely to attract attention than to avoid it!
- To make yourself less noticeable, you should choose appropriate clothing for the situation. Black clothing at night will make you less visible, but in broad daylight will more likely attract suspicion.
- And of course you don't want to be heard either. The right footwear will dampen the sound of your footsteps even on a noisy surface, and the less metal elements you have in your attire, the less you will jingle. It's also important to avoid noisy actions, such as breaking a lockpick or starting a dog barking.
Your chances of successful stealth can be determined from the stats Visibility, Conspic(uousness) and Noise, which depend on the properties of the individual items of your attire - the lower the value, the better. You'll find these in the table beneath the figure of Henry.
- There's more than one way to skin a cat, of course. If you can get hold of the outfit of a particular faction, you can skip the stealth altogether and walk boldly into places where you would otherwise be very unwelcome.
- The more items of the other faction's attire you have on you, the more inconspicuous you'll be. The most convincing garments are ones that stand out, such as a tabard, and helmets that cover your face.